Applications have their set theme, features, and modality. However certain features are a must-have for individuals which put them in distressing situation. This is when user wonder how to allow APK downloads Android?
For the most part, Android is an open platform. You can install apps and games through the Google Play Store, or you can go off the reservation and install APKs on your own. We do not recommend it. Google Play Store has so many security features that it’s difficult to mess up your phone while using it.
Having said some people, may want to allow APK downloads for a variety of reasons. There are currently two ways of how to allow APK downloads android without using the Play Store.
The first way to how to allow APK downloads android is through third-party app stores such as F-Droid, Amazon’s App Store, and others. The second option is to download and do it yourself. Here’s how to do both.
This is the most commonly used method for how to allow APK downloads android device. Google changed the method with the release of Android 8.0 Oreo, and aside from minor tweaks, it has remained unchanged to this day. It may differ slightly between phones, but this is how to allow APK downloads Android.
Also read out How to Update an APK
How to Allow APK Downloads Android
Before we begin, here’s how Google handles it. It is necessary to grant specific permissions in order to install APKs from the app initiating the installation.
For example, if you download the app using your browser and then tap the download notification, you’ll need to grant your browser permission to install the APK. Similarly, if you use a file browser, you must grant specific permissions to the file browser.
- Locate the APK you want to download and then save it.
- Start the installation via the download notification or a file browser. Any file browser will work just fine.
- You’ll see a warning at the bottom of the screen informing you that you must grant that app permission to install the file. Take note of the app name at the top of the warning box; you’ll need it in the following steps.
- To proceed, tap the Settings button.
- Find the app from the previous step and turn it on the next page.
- A prompt should appear with the option to install the app. Proceed with the installation by following the instructions.
- Please keep in mind that you may need to restart the installation process at times. For example, if you tap the notification and use your browser, you may need to tap it again to get the install prompt after giving the app permission.
From there, it operates in the same manner as any other app. It will be in your app drawer, where you can open it and use it normally.
Some apps may fail to install due to device compatibility issues, for which we have little control. Aside from that, it’s pretty straightforward to how to allow APK downloads Android.
How to Revoke Installation Rights
In your quest to how to allow APK downloads android, you may resort to third-party apps. After installing a third-party app, you may want to withdraw permissions so that no additional apps are installed without your knowledge.
Most apps, such as Firefox or Amazon, do not misuse this privilege, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Here’s how to revoke app installation permissions.
- Navigate to the settings menu on your phone.
- Tap the Search bar and enter “Unknown” without the quotation marks.
- The option should appear in the search results. Tap it.
- Tap Install unknown apps on the next screen.
- Select the app for which you want to revoke permission, and then revoke it. It may appear differently on different devices. Samsung allows you to toggle it directly from the menu, whereas stock Android requires you to click on the app separately.
- Note: We recommend using the search function because the process is the same on every Android phone, but OEM customizations may relocate the menu. Using the search function ensures that you arrive at your destination the first time.
- This is how you disable the installation permissions. You can, however, use this method to turn them on as well.
Installing and Using the Third-Party App Stores
Third-party app stores are the most convenient way to install third-party APKs that are not available in the Google Play Store. Unfortunately, you’ll need to install a third-party app store first, but it’s remarkably simple after that.
- Install the third-party app store of your choice using the method outlined above. Because it is a third-party APK, you must install that way.
- Open the store after it has been installed and search for an app. Install the app as soon as it downloads.
- When you click install, you’ll see the same warning about granting the app permission to install other apps that you saw in the previous steps.
- Click the Settings button, scroll down to the app store, and check the box to grant it access.
- Return to the app and try installing an app again. It should work this time.
You only need to go through this setup procedure once. As long as you have the store permission enabled, the app store should download and install APK files on Android without issue. So, this is how to allow APK downloads android using third-party app stores.
How to Setup Pre-Android 8.0 Oreo APKs
This method is technically outmoded. However, we wanted to keep it in case someone showed up with an old Android phone. This method will not work if your phone is running Android 8.0 Oreo or later.
- Make sure you have a file browser installed before downloading the APK.
- Go to your phone’s settings. Select the Security option.
- Scroll down and check the box next to Unknown sources.
- Navigate to the APK in your download folder using your file browser. To install the app, tap the APK and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Return to your settings and uncheck the Unknown sources box to prevent further unwanted installations.
Frequently Asked Questions – How to Allow APK Downloads Android
The app I installed does not work. Why?
Not every Android device is capable of running every app. It is necessary to have a Samsung phone.
Is this compatible with Android TV?
Yes, in fact. To transfer the APK from your phone to your TV, use the Google Play app Send to TV.
We hope with this blog you were able to diagnose the problem how to allow APK downloads android. The procedure of how to allow APK downloads android is very simple, you can use one of these ways and get the APK of your choice.